Friday, January 2, 2015

I checked the 1937 "Echo"---the "annual" or yearbook from the Milwaukee State Teachers College (MSTC), now known as University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and I see that Lowell Lee was teaching there at that time. The website of the Museum of Wisconsin Art says that Lee was in the WPA program. I have never seen any documentation verifying that, but I guess the museum must have some. One needed to be unemployed to be considered for the jobs programs. I use the term WPA (Works Progress Administration) to cover the various art agencies that were part of the New Deal jobs programs. Previously, I mentioned the art calendars that were produced by the Milwaukee Printmakers. Here is a cover photo of the 1938 calendar. The cover print was done by Harold Wescott.


Here are a few more of Lowell M. Lee's prints from the 1930's.


Lowell M. Lee "October" woodcut, 1935



Lowell M. Lee "Squall" wood engraving, undated (featured in the 1938 calendar)



Lowell M. Lee "Dance" linocut, 1934


Lowell M. Lee "Beyond the Light of Day" etching, 1937


Lowell M. Lee untitled, linocut, unsigned---I acquired this as part of a group of Lee prints.


Lowell M. Lee "Fertility and Fair Weather" wood engraving, 1937


Lowell M. Lee "Northern Light" woodcut, 1933


Lowell M. Lee untitled (ship) etching, 1935


Lowell M. Lee untitled (eroding landscape) etching, 1935


Lowell M. Lee "Grand Marais Harbor" wood engraving, undated (featured in the 1938 calendar)


Lowell M. Lee "Dawn at Becher Street" (Milwaukee) woodcut, 1936

I have been collecting prints for many years but I have no formal art training. I do my best to accurately describe the artwork. Some of these relief prints that I have labeled as woodcut, wood engraving, or linocut could be incorrect---I alone am responsible for all errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment